Thursday, July 06, 2006

The rebirth - Natal

Once upon a time I lived on a farm in Natal. This past weekend I visited the area and although it is still beautiful, the timber companies have bought the land and trees have replaced people. There are a few informal settlements but farm houses lie in ruin. My mum is writing a book where in she accurately describes our time there, I was too young to remember much. visit http://african to read the latest chapter. A big thank you must go to Craig's Parents (Pam and Campbell) who took us on a journey back in time. We had a delicious all you can eat lunch at The Oaks at Byrne a small hotel in the tudor look-a-like town of Byrne which is nestled in amongst the hills of the Natal midlands.

It was quite an emotional day for me, many changes have come to pass, not only in the area but in my life and my family in the 21 years or so since we left the area. I am happy to say, however that the land is rich and beautiful, the plants that once lined lush lawns still prevail although now they are entwined with bush veld and pioneer weeds ( which I kind of like, its almost as if they've been returned to the wild themselves).

Thank you to Craig too, I may never have gone back had it not been for you. MAC

Craig and Cousin Tessa

5 Comments:

Blogger Vallypee said...

Wow Momo, the Oaks at Byrne...I remember it well, as we used to go there for drinks with a whole bunch of people!! Craig's Mum and Dad look lovely sitting there in the garden!

I'm still feeling quite weepy over seeing all those pics. You're right. In a way it's even more lovely in its wilderness. thanks my Momo, and glad you enjoyed your chapter!

Thursday, 06 July, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello MoMo.

I like the blogg and I want one too. Great pic of my old folks and Craig and Tessain the OPEL.

Allt bästa till du och Craig.

Saturday, 08 July, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely pics little blista!
I saw the ones you sent to mumsy too... It is quite emotional seeing what has become of our first home but in a way I'm glad its trees that have taken over and not high rise flats and shopping malls... that is at least one small consolation.

I hope one day I'll get the chance to go and have a wander around there again.

xxx

Monday, 10 July, 2006  
Blogger Sindy said...

Awww, 5fingers is sweet on you GTBliss! Did you know?? ;-)

BTW Mo, have posted a coupla cD's for you of Crowded House Albums. Am trying to gradually copy them all for you. In exchange, I'm really excited to know when you might be sending the pics CD??..;-)

Tuesday, 11 July, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops
sorry, seems I've used Sindy's ID by accident...messages tays the same though!

Tuesday, 11 July, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home