Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Abstract art for abstract science

In September the post graduates in my faculty are having a research presentation day for which we have to prepare a poster and a speech. All research documents are preceded by an abstract and the abstracts are collated in a booklet for the audience members (other post grads and members of staff). I volunteered to design the cover for the booklet and this time, instead of my usual corel creations I decided to use paint to create what i hope is a piece of abstract art, kind of a pun in picture form. As this booklet will be going out to my peers, please can you take a look and critically evaluate it. If you think it is fine, you are welcome to say that too. Mama I hope you enjoy Brussels, Jodie and Barry stay out of the Kitchen! P.S The meaning of the hands is creativity, the fire is symbolic of the elements but the two combined make the shape of an autumn tree symbolic of nature and its role in our work. The quill and ink pot are symbols for research and a thesis.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mo and Cas said...

Well My supervisor had this to say
"Anyway, I think it looks great BUT, Rhodes is generally very conservative and I'd imagine
that many people would prefer something less "arty" (e.g. The Rhodes crest and something
related to Rx). Let me circulate it to selected staff members before taking it further.
Even if we don't use it for the abstract book we can use if for posters." ho hum

Tuesday, 27 June, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats a pity because I think its a great cover for a scientific booklet. Its eye-catching without being OTT and it symbolises energy, life and the thirst for knowledge in a way that can be interpreted by everyone in their own way... I hope the conservative sticklers see the light!

Wednesday, 28 June, 2006  
Blogger Mo and Cas said...

tanks jo

Wednesday, 28 June, 2006  
Blogger Mo and Cas said...

Yo yo Momo, No offense to your supa... but I think he need a head check. Your shuit is of the hook.

from your secret admirer.

Wednesday, 28 June, 2006  
Blogger Vallypee said...

Tell them to get with it, Mo. It's great, and how can something about the abstract be represented by a conservative crest?
Very good, my sweet.
Mamalama
xxxxxxxxxx

Monday, 03 July, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home